- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
Members of the George Washington University who are the victim of a crime that occurs within the District of Columbia have specific rights under the law. Please keep these rights in mind as you explore the resources offered on this page and as you move forward.
As a member of the George Washington University you have the right to request immediate help in obtaining assistance from the resources available through GW. Please feel free to contact the George Washington University Police Department (non-emergency number 202-994-6110).
As a victim of crime in the District of Columbia has the following rights:
- To be treated with fairness and with respect for the victim's dignity and privacy.
- To be reasonably protected from the accused offender.
- To be notified of court proceedings.
- To be present at all public court proceedings related to the offense unless the court determines that testimony by the victim would be materially affected if the victim heard other testimony at trial.
- To confer with the attorney for the Government in the case.
- To restitution.
- To information about the conviction, sentencing, imprisonment, and release of the offender.
As a member of the GW community (student, staff, and faculty) you have additional rights as a victim of a crime:
- To file a report of crime to the George Washington University Police Department.
- To file a confidential report with the George Washington University Police Department.
- To have the crime reported on the daily crime log and to be counted in the annual statistics reported to the campus community (for the crime categories required to be reported to comply with the Clery Act).
- To have GWPD assist the victim in filing a report with the Metropolitan Police Department (MPDC) at his/her request.
- To have the incident report forwarded to Student Judicial Services (SJS) to initiate the University Judicial Process.
- To request immediate help in obtaining assistance from the resources available through GW